السبت، ديسمبر 8

Lamees Dhaif was wins the Tully Center Award for Free Speech at Syracuse University, New York in October 2012



This was her speech:

Good evening ladies and gentlemen

Whenever my youngest niece sees me she says “I can’t wait until I grow up to be a prominent
journalist like you so that I can write and people would talk about my work”. I hesitate not
knowing what to answer her. Do I tell her a “word” can cost her life as what happened to Kareem
Fakhrawi who died under torture? Do I tell her that a “word” can sentence her to 15 years
imprisonment as what happened to Ali Abdul Imam? Do I tell her that she can be expelled after
20 years of working dedicatedly without prior notice as what happened to Esmat AlMoosawi? Or
shall I tell her that the word can distance her from everyone she loves and everything she loves
as what happened to me?

Ladies and gentlemen some of you might not believe that in some countries the opinion of the
journalist or writer might cost him his life, future, and stability. I am from a country called
Bahrain. It’s a tiny country that can be hardly seen on the map of an Atlas. But it is a great
country with great people. This country has been ruled by the same authoritarian family for more
than 230 years thus controlling its wealth and resources. Because our people are educated they
revolted asking for their rights but they were imprisoned, tortured, and killed.

All those working in the media in Bahrain had one of two choices: either to stand by and help
the struggling people or to abandon people and help in plotting a conspiracy against them. A few
chose the first option knowing the magnitude of its risk. The majority gave up their work ethics,
morals, and humanity and stood with the regime against the people.

Have you heard of “Sin eaters”? This is a profession practiced by Spanish gypsies in ancient
times where the family of the deceased person would hire a poor man to eat the bread and salt
from the top of the body of the dead man. They believed this would cleanse the dead person’s
sins. You might have thought that this profession no longer exists but the repressive regimes
have revived it using a new description. The mission of journalists in my country is to eat away
the sins of the regime, transcend its mistakes, and justify its crimes. Moreover they tend to
criminalize the victim and trash his reputation in front of society.

While the Spanish gypsies might have done so for bread and money, my colleagues in Bahrain
do so to acquire positions, gifts, and privileges that the original “Sin Eaters” never have dreamed
of achieving. Those who choose to not eat the sins of this regime will end up immediately
expelled, detained or immigrated.

I’m not here to complain because I am proud of myself because I triumphed in using the “word”
and free opinion. I triumphed for those vulnerable and oppressed and I was the voice of those
who couldn’t speak. I am proud especially because I refused to eat anybody’s sins and proud not
to have covered anyone’s crimes. To me journalism’s goal is one of deliverance; a goal closely
resembles what was done by prophets and philosophers. We are not here to protect anyone’s
throne but to preserve high morals and build a brighter future for those among us and to future
generations.

At times I feel that my dreams are bigger than me and that I tend to try to climb walls and
boundaries beyond my ability. But I feel that there’s light at the end of the tunnel and that our
struggle will bear fruit one day, if not for us then for the next generations.

At the end of this challenging year, I received the news of winning this award which was like a
refreshing breeze in my tiresome life. I thank you because although you are thousands of miles
away from us, but you were able to hear about me and feel my pain. You have heard of my
country and my people who are steadfast who struggle silently amidst the shameful silence of
the world. On top of these countries is the United States of America which sells weapons to my
country, supports it politically, and protects it diplomatically. People’s lives and sacrifices, the
values ​of democracy, and freedom of expression do not seem important to decision-makers in
America but it seems - paradoxically important for you.

I dedicate this award to someone dear to the heart of every Bahraini .. He is a young man just
like you who dreamed of a beautiful tomorrow. You'll find out more about him from the short
film I have made.



I apologize for the tragic scenes but this is the fact that I wanted you to see.
Please do not feel sorry because our people are persistent and they are adhering to their demands
although the road is bumpy. We count on your support and the support of all honorable people in
the world.

To my niece I say:

I do not want to take more of your time and I will conclude these words by thanking all of you.

ليست هناك تعليقات: